Monday, August 20, 2012

52 Books in 52 Weeks: Books 30-33


Summer Reading List

There’s something about summer and reading that just goes together. And as the days fly by, so do the books. Here then is a brief outline of four books I read over the past month:

Jewel by Bret Lott – A touching, fascinating look back at the struggles of raising a special needs child in post-WWII America. And a compelling reminder that the main ingredient is a mother’s love.

The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides – This book proved the adage that you can’t judge a book by its cover. The cover art nearly deterred me from what turned out to be a fun, intelligent read. The fact that it took place in a New England college town in the early 80s made it particularly relevant to me.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins – I finally gave in and began the trilogy … and couldn’t put it down. This series is designed for young adult readers, but since in my mind I am still 19, I felt I was the perfect audience. I have now gotten hold of the two remaining books, and will likely plow through those as well.

Sam’s Letters to Jennifer by James Patterson – Trite and way too sugary for my taste. A blessedly quick read.

Vacation is over, but there’s still another four weeks of summer! And the read-a-thon continues!

1 comment:

  1. We read the Hunger Games this summer too. I had a hard time with the concept of children competing to the death so we opted out of seeing the movie.

    ReplyDelete