Thursday, July 26, 2012

52 Books in 52 Weeks: Book # 28: In the Woods


In the Woods by Tana French


As you all know by now, I enjoy the True Crime genre, so I figured I would equally enjoy a good fictional murder mystery – especially one that was an Edgar Award Winner. But for some reason I just couldn’t get excited about this book.

It sounded great – psychological suspense, a 20-year-old secret, long-buried memories – but I had a hard time empathizing with the characters most of the time. They seemed to spend an inordinate amount of time drinking, getting drunk and recovering from hangovers. And the jargon they used in conversation (the book took place in Ireland) got to be a bit off-putting. 

Then there was the length … the editor in me felt that the story could have been told in half the number of pages (there were 429 of them). Perhaps a bit of succinctness would have prevented me from falling asleep so many nights while reading. Or maybe if they spent a little less time drinking and a little more time detecting, the mystery could have been solved a lot sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment