Tuesday, February 14, 2012

52 Books in 52 Weeks - Book Seven: Wild Child


Wild Child by T.C. Boyle

Short stories are usually not my favorite genre, but I was attracted to the title story of this book, having read the nonfiction tale of Victor, the feral boy captured running naked in the forests of France in 1797. And although this story was well written and interesting, I found some of the others even more compelling.



Especially gripping were “La Conchita,” which takes place during a California mudslide; “Sin Dolor” about a boy who could feel no pain; and “The Lie” – a cautionary tale of how telling little white lies can spin out of control. One story, “Three Quarters of the Way to Hell,” was set in a recording studio during the time my dad was in the music industry, and it so completely captured the essence of the environment that I felt like I was reliving the stories he used to tell. Great stuff!

If you like short stories – and even if you think you don’t – give T.C. Boyle a read. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised!

No comments:

Post a Comment